Tuesday, September 24, 2024

canoe + clay: huli practice + bowls

I've had weekends of firsts in the past couple months. I paddled in races in the San Francisco Bay, first around Alcatraz and then again around Angel Island. I learned sea kayaking rescue in Richardson Bay in Sausalito, which was very hard, so hard that huli practice in the bay off Coyote Point in my hometown this past Sunday was easy. Or rather easier. 
And I'm hooked on open ocean activities. My friend, Nicole with whom I learned to sea kayak is deciding our next sea kayaking trip. 

I've also spent Sundays in August and September learning to throw. This past weekend, the kiln gods delivered our first efforts at bowls. This one might have been my least favorite. I think I wished I had put my fingers in the glaze bucket and just splashed on the second glaze rather than dip and then drip. It's okay. 
The bowl now contains all the stampers at the library.

I was also meh about this deep blue. Again I'll try the finger splashing the next time I layer on another glaze on to a dark blue.
It's holding rubber bands at the library.

On this next bowl, I had letter pressed, Waiter, there is a fly in my soup, so I knew I wanted glaze with transparency.
It's my favorite bowl, and I can't wait to adhere an iron oxide decal of a fly on it.
I might donate this bowl to the Vallejo High School Class of 2005 Reunion's fundraiser.

This bowl was another favorite of the bunch.
I do love the turquoise glazes.
The Blushing Pink instead of looking pink on top of the Teal Appeal adds a depth that's giving me ocean vibes. I'll repeat these glazes again because there are more bowls to come. I threw 2 plus a vase this past Sunday. 

The other first this past weekend was the first time I ever solved my favorite New York Times puzzle, Letter Boxed.
It was only recently when looking at the "Yesterday" solutions that I knew these puzzles could be solved in 2 words rather than the 6, 5, or 4 words suggested. Such a good end to a very fun weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment