Monday, June 3, 2024

clay: cone 10 reveal

Here are the glazes I used in the Cone 10 firing.

   
While I glazed all these bisque pots...
....Jeff carved sgraffito on his big pot.
Glazing all that bisque ware took me 2 afternoons, but I got the pots painted or dipped.
 
Unlike raku pots, these reduction fired pots will be water-tight. No leaking or weeping on a vitrified vase.
And I'm not sure what glaze I used on this "gray" kurinuki box. I think it's rutile. And later I learned from Zan that the rutile came from Stanley at Burlingame High.
And I'm still trying to decide whether I like this Ohata. I guess I was hoping for more of that orange rust with pearlescent luster.
I do like how the Coleman Red turned out on this kurinuki box. I love the purple speckles on that blood red.
 
And that contrast of gray white with the wine red grew on me.
 
Next time, maybe I'll play with wiping off some of the glaze on the rougher surfaces to achieve more contrast. During the last week of school, I finally put together this succulent garden in one of the cone 10 pots (after I had expoxied it to prevent the bottom from falling out) as a scholarship auction item for our staff end-of-year party (which I didn't attend).
And Nex, one of my former students proudly showed me their embellished graduation cap.
And as much as I'm suffering from severe hay fever or extreme allergies to the spring pollen from the heavy winter rains, I am loving all the blooms happening in the garden. I've been buying petunias at the Grocery Outlet.
And I don't care if petunias are considered gas station flowers, I like 'em. I again admired the bird of paradise and gladiolus and stalk of columbines in its ikebana type of floral arrangement.
And that's a flower vase I want to make next year in a Cone 10 kiln. Something for an ikebana arrangement with a base that looks like a rock formation.

No comments:

Post a Comment