Monday, June 3, 2024

consumption + clay: treasurefest

Meral and I had planned to spend the Saturday of the Memorial Day weekend, hand building in the community studio and allowing students to collect their projects from the kiln room. Instead Meral said a couple nights before, let's go to Treasure Fest instead. And we started early when the morning was chilly and drizzly, but then good weather emerged and the drive was beatifically scenic.

There were lines already at the entrance, but we got our free tote bags. The bay was gorgeous. Meral was noting that the Youth Conservation Corps and firefighting schools were located at Treasure Island. We started left at the vintage flea market and perused trash and treasures. Meral found a Princess House crystal lamp for 20 bucks, and I spent 22 bucks on a Bloody Mary.
  
We then made our way to the artisans though there was a used clothing vendor selling surf wear before the independent makers. I bought 2 flannel shirts for only 12 bucks and then happened upon an air plant and succulent grower from whom I bought 18 bucks worth of succulents. I kept peppering him with questions about the names of the plants I bought, and so he wrote their names on the bag.
We returned to a vintage wares seller, where I coveted this cast iron fish pan and an apron. I bought neither, but I did buy a driftwood tree, which I told the vendor that I was going to take apart to decorate my succulent gardens while Meral bought a $200 vase with a carved face. Lastly I bought us a $100 lunch of a dozen oysters and a crab melt.
 
And then Meral drove us out of Treasure Island, and I took pictures of all the spectacular views.
 
We headed east toward the Bay Bridge.
  
And across the bridge we went to Clay People in Richmond.
 
At Clay People, we each bought a bag of Frost Porcelain though Meral also bought a pint of glaze while I bought a carving tool. We always check to see what's free outside the store, and this time it was a kiln.
Nope to the kiln, but we did stop at Clay Life, and I ended up buying a 3-month membership. While there, we talked about a clay getaway, and I even researched accommodations. Unfortunately, Meral has to work.
 
I ended up my shopping at Ranch 99, where I wanted to buy this hibachi. I restrained myself as I already have a Weber and an Ooni.
However, I bought groceries to cook noodle bowls and satay the next day at my brother's. It's already 2 weeks later and I'm already on my school break. I feel like I did a lot but also still have a lot more to do this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment