Sunday, June 23, 2024

cloth and clay: working through sorrow and sadness

My heart hurts, and so I’m working through it by distracting myself being busy. I'd been fretting about my sweet girl who was dying and then crying and dying myself when we put her down. Ceramics and cooking as usual but without much joy, and cloth as comfort and moments of noticing beauty.  I took solace in stitching and paid a minute of attention to this monochromatic bouquet of pink and maroon flowers made by Patrick.                           

 
To my surprise I finished sandwiching this "No Shrinking Violets" quilt that I had started 5 years or so ago, but I still miss my girl terribly.
At Hakone Gardens, I noticed this plate of sashiko stitching and remembered it enough to reference it in a test tile plate I had glazed a few days ago.
 
I am also testing out the Ghost Blue and the Copper Red glazes on other hump pots I made and was charmed by this face cup I saw on the finished glazed pots at the "other" community studio. I'd like to make some more plates with those stitching lines and in Sashiko patterns. Time to re-visit those books on Japanese textiles at the public library.

I thought all the little faces I was spying were so cute and aim to make my own little face cups and vases.
On the cooking front, I made a Thai red curry butternut squash soup with all the scrips and scraps in my fridge and sadly ate it with the last of the Korean grilled chicken my girl hadn't finished though it was delicious because it's how I broke my fast.


On another night, I finally grilled some of the baby zucchini harvested by Patrick alongside salmon pinwheels from Trader Joe's and made a Caprese salad from supermarket tomatoes and Costco marinated mozzarella.
And turned once again to Trader Joe's for inspiration on what to cook for dinner. I almost bought one of these packages of pollo asado and then remembered I had chicken breasts in the freezer. And so weekday cooking plans will be chicken tacos made from said chicken breast marinated in achiote, cumin, kosher salt, black pepper, hot smoked paprika, Mexican oregano, lime and orange zest and juice and olive oil before barbecue grilling it and then enfolding it all in mashed avocado, white onion, cilantro, and lettuces for dinner sometime this week. I've also been pausing to admire the flowers that Patrick harvests and forages from the grounds of our condo complex.
 
It's Sunday. I'll be going to a Bollywood dance class and then lunch with Cecilia at the Filipino restaurant, Kuya, followed, I think, by a few hours at the clay studio. I've half a Kabocha squash in my fridge and will stop by the Filipino grocery store to pick up some long beans and shrimp to cook sometime this week Ginataang Kalabasa At Sitaw as well as preparing ahead the marinade for the aforementioned chicken tacos.

Yesterday at the parks and rec ceramics studio, I carved a Kurinuki box from a cube of Bmix scraps, put a glazed candelabra on the firing shelves, and then adhered underglazes to flowers on another candelabra--dark brown, medium brown, light brown, bright yellow, canary yellow, deep purple, tangerine sherbet, burnt pumpkin while deciding on other underglazes (orange, pink and red are the plans) while I think I will adhere chartreuse to the base. For overglazes, none on the deep purple, but Sarah's Satin clear on the base and other underglazes. I type all this lest I forget. At the other ceramics studio, I've still some brown (aka dark) clay, which I've still yet to decide what to make. I need to make another butter box template with tar paper because I keep forgetting to put it into my clay drawstring bag. Maybe I'll make another plate, but dinner or salad size. Or a cake plate. Or salad bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment