Sunday, October 6, 2024

coziness: on my reading radar and the promise of tinned fish

Even though the Bay Area is hot as hades this past week, I've been pondering fall and winter and all the making I'll do once the off-season outrigger canoe paddling practices are over after November 16th. I've been paying attention to what stories and books I'll want to listen to and read. I'm reading Claire Keegan's "Foster" right now and pondering whether to subscribe to the New Yorker for perhaps just 4 weeks. And I checked out the Mary Gaitskill book yesterday from the library.

Because of Instagram book recommendations not only from the New Yorker, but also the Library of Congress, I also put a hold on the two science fiction dystopian novels and decided that I don't want to read the nonfiction book a slow sewing club member suggested.
I also put a hold on American Mermaid below, but forgot to put a hold on the original Bambi. And so I just put a hold on the story electronically. I also just put a hold on an author recommended by Ann Patchett's Instagram from Parnassus Books because I just finished her audiobook, Tom Lake.
And before I Christmas gift any books to children this year, I thought I'd preview The Dictionary Story, of which I'm thinking for Charlie in Pennsylvania and my nephew Josh's kids.
 
I also just checked out the following from the public library.
I held an impromptu happy hour with just wine and baguette and triple cream brie. Cecilia brought out smoked brislings, which I loved, loved, loved, and so now I'm on a tinned fish kick. I bought a bunch of canned octopus, mackerel, cockles, scallops as well as sardines at World Market, where I also indulged in a birthday gift of napkins embroidered with sardines as well as an Ooni cover and cookbook. Yesterday was my birthday, but my neighbors are buying me brunch as my party this morning and off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment