The New York Times recently featured Yotam Ottolenghi's Blueberry Almond Lemon cake. I decided to bake and give the cake to a friend who just bought her first home. I've always got butter, flour, sugars, both white and brown, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla extract on hand because I've a husband who bakes. I also happened to have the berries (blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)because I'd been trying to eat more fruit with Greek yogurt. What I didn't have though for this recipe was almond flour.
I was pleasantly surprised to discover almond flour at Trader Joe's while shopping for a bag of lemons. The recipe called for lemon zest in the batter, but not lemon juice.
Also not only do you reserve lemon juice for the icing but also some of the berries after baking the loaf for 15 minutes. I then scattered those reserved berries on top of the loaf and baked for another 15 minutes. The top of the loaf looked to me close to burning.
But thankfully, the recipe also calls for covering the cake with aluminum foil and then baking for another 25 to 30 minutes. The moment of truth...
No comments:
Post a Comment