Tuesday, September 22, 2026

cook: girls gone mild junk journaling night + oktoberfest meal rehearsal

I was in the mood to host:

I thought I was going to make a sandwich board and decided instead to cook autumnal food. I thought, how hard can bratwurst, spaetzle and a bunch of pickles be to cook and make ahead? My friend, Nicole was game and bought this little kegger (so adorable!), which I opened in order to braise the bratwurst.
And the food was easy. I added beer, apple cider vinegar, grainy mustard, sliced onions, slices of Granny Smith apple, a few cloves of crushed garlic, dill, caraway seeds, mustard seeds, and peppercorns to the bottom of a crockpot.
And then browned the bratwurst in cast iron before laying them atop the onions, apple and aromatics in the crockpot.
The rest of the afternoon and evening was a flurry of making a cabbage salad with cream, quick pickling red cabbage and quick pickling zucchini. The next day I had grabbed egg noodles instead of the planned spaetzle, and so buttered noodles with bacon, onions, cream and Gruyere became the side dish. I also used up the rest of a vinaigrette in the fridge to dress arugula greens and on which to top with the pickled vegetables. Forgot about the beets. And oh yeah, I had baked frozen prepared pretzels and made beer cheese. A good appetizer that was pretty darn easy. Set out pickled onions and a jar of spicy cucumber pickles along with my other quick pickles as well as the honey mustard and spicy brown mustard condiments.
I think the lady guests enjoyed the hearty meal, which I will put on repeat perhaps for my birthday meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment