Friday, June 1, 2012

California (Bay Area, that is--one of the most diverse spots I know) Hot Wings

-
I love Buffalo Hot Wings, but I wanted to put my own spin to preparing them. Instead of tossing roasted chicken wings in butter and Crystal hot sauce, I omitted the butter and added Sriracha hot chili sauce (not really Asian, but an Asian American fusion invented ingredient) and Cholula hot sauce (my favorite condiment in Mexican restaurants). I've served these wings to neighbors at our little social gatherings, and my friends who relish fiery sauce have enjoyed these appetizers. Here's the chive-ranch dressing from Dave Lieberman's cookbook, Young & Hungry that I serve as a cooling condiment. Again I tweaked his recipe to me and my neighbors' tastes and dietary wishes by substituting nonfat sour cream and plain nonfat Greek yogurt, lowfat mayonnaise, using an extra teaspoon or two of the vinegar, and then adding a decadent tablespoon of Salem blue cheese: 1/2 cup sour cream 1/4 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup plain yogurt A few pinches of salt 2 teaspoons white vinegar 1 garlic clove, pressed 6 grinds of black pepper 1 tablespoon water 1 small bunch of chives, chopped I plan on serving this dish to a work-related potluck to I hope rave reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment