Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ceramics: how do i love thee H E A R T


Clay Body:  Sculpture Mix
Glazes:  Western Cone 06 Black opaque glass in text,  Cone 06 Deep Red and Cone 06 Gloss
Text: how do I love thee? let me count the ways.  i love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach when feeling out of sight For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

I love the leather hard stage when hand building is possible.  I had seen my claymate Victoria make a heart wall hanging with an altar inscribed with "Beloved," and was inspired to also create a heart for my wall.  I was fearful that the red glaze would burn out, so I low fired this heart and painted three coats thickly.  I thought the red would come out lighter but am so pleased at the darker crimson.  I started it in Debbie Abarca's Central Park Studio in San Mateo, etched the text at home, and then fired and glazed and fired again in my ceramics class at Skyline College in San Bruno.

No comments:

Post a Comment