Saturday, January 23, 2016

Work in Progress: Valentine Quilt


This pink, purple, and coral hued quilt top is done!  I have two odd blocks that don't fit the top because one block, a Churn Dash is orange and the other block is a purple and orange Arkansas Crossroads.  I forgot to include the pink background fabric into those two blocks; however I plan to choose another block to sew from my block tool guide and then incorporate those three blocks into the backing or not and make three totally new blocks that incorporate the skill of hand appliqué which I didn't try for the front of this quilt.  I bought 3 yards of a purple fabric that's a possibility, or that purple might become the binding if I choose the backing fabric to be more Kona pink fabric.  Another design decision is whether to learn how to free motion quilt for which I bought another foot for my machine or farm it out to the studio to long arm quilt with a computerized design of hearts OR find a long arm quilter to consult with and give input on the design of the stitching.  This quilt ain't perfect.  Up close I can see crooked or loose seams, but those don't matter to me because I made it and quilting will cover those flaws just like glazing covers my mistakes in ceramics and results in a beauty of its own called wabi wabi.  I rather love the imperfect prettiness of my color and block choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment