Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Cooking: How I Do Lunch on Summer Vacation

Avocado toast is my standard for breakfast.  However, tomatoes are in season, and my friend, Bob tore the baguette he bought at Acme Bakery in half and gave it to me.  Chopped Black Krim tomatoes and mashed avocados atop slices of baguette with sprinklings of sea salt and Aleppo pepper make for a tasty open-faced sandwich.
I also know I'm on vacation when I can imbibe wine with lunch.  I fried a whole package of bacon the evening before for BLTs, which also topped my deviled eggs.
Cobb salad is my favorite, and I'm trying to use things up in my pantry and fridge and prevent food waste and not grocery shop only to discover I already had the ingredient.  However, I did not have blue cheese, and it's de rigueur for this salad along with all the bacon I fried and eggs I soft boiled and rotisserie chicken I thawed prior.
I actually cooked this for dinner to use up frozen Udon noodles and prepackaged broccoli beef in my freezer and baby bok choy in my vegetable bin.
And then I was on a lox bagel kick because there's no better combination than a fresh baked bagel, whipped cream cheese, red onion, capers and soft unctuous smoked salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment