Saturday, July 2, 2016

Work in Progress: Irish Chain and Learning How to Use a Computerized Sewing Machine


After my English paper piecing on a flight and business trip, I returned home to an hour of learning about my new Babylock Katherine sewing machine and bringing it home.  My instructor just had me sit to her right as she showed me the myriad of stitches and features.  Finally I glimpsed how to use the button hole feature!  At first I hated it after the simplicity of my Babylock Maria and the learning curve of a new piece of equipment.  Determined, however, to sew a quilt on it, I started sewing and pressing strips of linen and pastel solids all of a Friday.  Below are the strips with a 1/2 inch seam because I got frustrated by not knowing how to use my 1/4 inch foot and because I didn't want any gaping seams from uneven cutting (my cotton strips are pretty accurate but my linen strips looked a bit too wonky).  


I have to say that I also love the needle down and cutting buttons on my machine and not having to trim thread ends:)  Welcome to a Saturday of slicing and dicing and maybe chain piecing this wedding present.

No comments:

Post a Comment