Friday, September 30, 2016

Cooking: A Late Breakfast of Herbed-Baked Eggs

I'm celebrating my 51st birthday, starting today.  I called in sick at work and am packing and then spending the weekend at a modern quilting retreat in a modern hotel, the Wild Palms in Sunnyvale.  And since I'm giving myself the treat of a leisurely-paced morning, I cooked Ina Garten's recipe for Herbed-Baked Eggs.  Here's how:  step out into your herb garden and pick a sprig of rosemary and a couple of sprigs of thyme.  Add parsley too if you have it.  Denude the branches of the leaves and chop with a clove of garlic as finely as you can--you can add some grains of salt to further pulverize your garlic but I'm a low sodium girl and think there's enough salt in my butter and cheese.  Cut a pat of butter and put in a ramekin baking dish.  Splash in heavy whipping cream and then add in your chopped garlic and herbs, a couple of teaspoons or so of parmesan cheese and then put into a preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 5 minutes to melt the butter and mellow the garlic as well as meld the flavors.  Then bring out your heated ramekin of seasoned delicious cream and crack an egg into it.  Pop your ramekin back into your oven for another 5 minutes or more, maybe 2 more minutes depending how soft or firm you want your egg yolk.  I like my yolk not firm and the egg whites creamy in which to dip my toasted sourdough and then eat with a spoon when I've run out of bread.  Yah I really don't measure, so if you want specific quantities see Ina's recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment