Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Quilting: Christmas Tree Skirt

I finished quilting this Christmas tree skirt last night.  I bought this charm pack called Winterland (I think) on clearance.  I was trying to explain modern quilting to a sister-in-law, and I should've added that the color palette distinguishes modern from traditional.  Instead of the usual hunter green and maroon red I've seen in winter sewing projects, I love the cherry red, aqua and cyan blue, and kelly green with touches of chartreuse in this color palette.  I revisited Jenny Doan's tutorial, and if I'd had more time, I would have stenciled geometric trees in the white border and maybe a snowflake here and there in the charm squares.  However I love the square spirals within the charm squares and straight lines in the border.  I'm thinking of finding a coordinating blue fabric to make the binding, but since time is of the essence--I want to drape this around my Christmas tree for my Chinese dumpling making party this evening--I'm going to bind it in white, which is wintry and clean to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment