Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Ceramics: Chocolate Dish


Clay: Soldate 60
Underglaze: Amaco Pomegranate and Black
Glaze: Clear

This is a pop-up plate, meaning I rolled out a slab of clay, which I then texturized with a floral-designed mat.  I then pressed the smaller mold with the clay underneath it into a larger mold in a foam pad in order to make the sides come up.  I then stamped it with a quote from Elie Wiesel and what you can't see because of the lighting is the imprint of a Cupid in the upper right.  After bisque-firing, I underglazed the plate with the black and the red and low-fired it again.  I'm assuming that the high firing of the clear glaze made the color in the center spread out though maybe I sponged off some of the pomegranate in order to see the lettering.  Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment