Thursday, December 1, 2016

Sewing Work in Progress: Binding

I've sewn tops for holiday table runners and quilted them, and it's now time to bind them.  I watched three different tutorials--Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Company, Ashley Nickles on Creative Bug, and Bill Kerr from Modern Quilt Studio.  I did not want to hand sew this time, and the most straightforward and easiest instruction for me to understand was Bill Kerr's You Tube video. 

Then it was a matter of figuring out how to adjust the needle on my machine for the right seam width.  I've had to take my seam ripper to my binding twice now, but that's how I learn what not to do! I love my Babylock Katherine in that I no longer have to use my 1/4" foot--it's much more accurate and easier to just move that needle left or right and then line up the outer edge of the foot with the outside edge of the fabric.  My machine's automatic setting of a 1/2" seam seems to be the perfect needle position because it sews an 1/8" seam away from the left edge of the binding.  I just noticed 
in my photos that I used my regular foot instead of my walking foot, but the fabric is moving and so I'm going to go with it!

I'm at a corner!  As you can see from the picture, I wonder clipped the miter, but I have to leave for work and pause this project for now.  I've been gripping the binding to the edge of the quilt to make sure the stitches catch the binding on the opposite side of the quilt as well as lifting the presser foot every time I see the seam about to pucker and ruin a fairly straight line.

No comments:

Post a Comment