Thursday, August 23, 2018

BLT Construction

My favorite meal other than a Caprese salad with the summertime bounty of heritage tomatoes is a BLT.....and wouldn't it be fantastic to throw a dinner party that was a Bacon Lettuce Tomato Sandwich bar?  Start with Miracle Whip for him and Duke’s for me (or good ole Best Food's or Hellman's if you're on the East Coast) to spread on your favorite bread.

Most important are in-season tomatoes, and heritage varieties are really the best. Below are a Mirabon ($14 for the seeds!)tomato and a Black Triffle tomato, sliced with a sprinkling of sea salt.

And bacon! I bought what was on sale at the supermarket.  I fried it up to include both crispy for the hubs and a little chew for me. But thick cut heritage pork would amp up a sandwich.  And the vegetarians at a party would omit the meat altogether though turkey bacon might work for those who don't do the other white meat.

Lastly, I also bought Beckmann’s California sourdough, and mixed greens with arugula (also from the garden)though big leaf lettuce for the paleos and gluten free eaters would have to be there at a buffet.  My BLT was delicious y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment