Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Ceramics: Playing with Glazes

A friend and I went to Leslie Ceramics in Richmond, and I was pretty good at restraint.  I bought the gallon of porcelain slip I had intended to get plus just one jar of an overglaze called Wrought Iron. Right away I wanted to test it.
My friend Meral gave me one of her bisque cups to test.

I was also fortunate enough that my greenware (frost porcelain plates, a sea-themed mug, a jewelry pendant on which to weave fibers) could go into the kiln.  A porcelain platter is going to remain in plastic for further drying.
My friend Patsy also added a layer of the wrought iron glaze to her plates.
I had wanted to purchase a glaze called Obsidian at the store, but couldn't find anymore of it.  And so I'm using our studio's black overglaze called Oil Spot in the inside of the mug, Wrought Iron on the bottom half of the mug and Oil Spot on the upper half with flux for dark glazes on the rim.  Fingers crossed.
Oil Spot, Flux, and Wrought Iron on a bisque test mug

Oil Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment