Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Cooking: Lemony Shrimp Scampi with Orzo and Arugula

I'm always poring through recipes online and in cookbooks to change up my rotation.  I've also committed to wasting less food by "shopping" my pantry and freezer rather than run to the grocery store and being overstocked on ingredients because I end up buying more than that one ingredient I need.  My remodeled kitchen also has less room though more organization.  I had shrimp in my freezer, arugula in the fridge, and orzo in my cupboard....and so a Google search turned up Giada de Laurentiis' Lemony Shrimp Scamp with Orzo and Arugula.  It's not an elegant looking dish, but it was delicious meal whose leftovers I didn't mind consuming again.

I set out most of my ingredients: peeled and de-veined shrimp, olive oil, lemon juice, chopped shallots, chopped garlic (another reader's suggestion which greatly enhanced the dish), and my refillable Chardonnay which I sipped while cooking.
First I sauteed the shallots and garlic and then the shrimp plus salt and pepper, making sure to cook the seafood until just pink and not rubbery, which I then removed from the pan into a bowl.
I then sauteed the arugula in some seafood broth (made by boiling the shrimp shells) and Chardonnay to burn off the alcohol and meld the flavors.
I moved the sauteed arugula and shrimp into a mixing bowl with my already boiled orzo.  I then mixed up a lemon vinaigrette with olive oil, lemon juice and grated lemon zest--I stuck to Giada's proportions of lemon because I like lemony.  I also liked the peppery bite of arugula though the stems kind of made it a chewy dish....I might use spinach next time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment