Saturday, April 20, 2019

Quilting: In the Pink

My completed baby quilt for my 6-month old grandniece, Bexley:)sans the quilt label.
I was in Redwood City for an appointment.  Once in a while, I do like to stop in a discount store, and across from the hospital is a Tuesday Morning.  Along with my Easter chocolate, I found two Benartex jelly rolls of a pink and red color palette, $23 each, and so I bought them both.
I sewed the strips in the order the strips were in on the roll, and the resulting rectangle was so wonky.
I trimmed and squared the quilt top as best I could and then layered it over crib size batting.
I had also browsed the aisles of the premium quilt fabric bolts in Joann's and fell in love with this peachy pink cloth charmingly named Astrid Pink, already discontinued, and of course I snagged all that was left.  I've a yard left over for other projects:)
I think the hardest part of quilting is centering the layers of a quilt sandwich, but centered all three as best as I could on my dining room table without its extra leaves.  
I auditioned the Aurifil and Guterman threads I used before stitching my quilt.  There's a spool of pink cotton thread I had scavenged from an estate sale, which I'll use for hand stitching the binding.
I've since stitched the Astrid Pink backing, the batting and the wonky quilt top, which is rather a bit too oblong, but no matter because I love all the colors and know that the sister of the recipient of this quilt will also adore this quilt in her favorite color of pink.  Last night I had to give up sewing after trying and failing to join the binding ends.  To be continued.  I already am looking forward to sewing the other Benartex jelly roll into a modern log cabin quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment