Thursday, July 1, 2021

Clay: Antiquing (OR NOT) as Surface Decoration

Glazing ceramics has been one of my frustrations as a potter. I've ruined some immensely satisfying hand builds with glazing that wasn't thoughtfully planned or with sloppiness. And so along with my resolution to take more time with my hand building, I've also vowed to take my time with glazing. I've a pile of bisque, and so I'm going to consider my technique for the surface decoration of each one. On some of my pots, I etched text into the clay, which invariably highlights spots where I didn't burnish or smooth the surface enough and kind of mars the design. Enter the magic eraser. 


I just saw this post on the Ceramic Arts Network of an artist who uses the magic eraser. Genius. I must remember this tool. And there are even more ideas for decorating my bisque that were linked to the post, and yeah I'm gonna go down that rabbit hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment