Monday, July 12, 2021

Cloth and Not Cook: Vegetable Garden Wall Quilt

Three years ago while holed up for winter break in Washington, I bought a mini quilt pattern from Purl Soho (must also find the beading kit I got too) which I’ve finally been sewing this summer.   

I think I bought the fabrics for this quilt a couple years ago when I saw the perfect sky blue cotton at Hobby Lobby when it first opened in my city as well as purchasing this brown linen from Joann’s appropriately called Soil. And of course, I had to dip into my stash of Kona cottons to find the right fabric colors for the vegetables (and yes Kona has an orange called Carrot). But digging through all those Kona colors had me then organizing them into palettes.         

Like a squirrel, I got distracted from the vegetable patch quilt because hey there’s this Craftsy course called Weekend Patchwork, where I could make a pillow and play with all my gradients of pink and orange, which is yet another sewing project on the docket. And look it there! my color palette for the pillow echoes this bouquet of flowers hubs sets in the window above my sewing area.                                       

And with all this sewing, I have not really been cooking unless it’s breakfast or just grabbing an ice cream bar and eating while looking at and pondering design choices.                                     
 

But then my flowers wilted and it was time to refresh the bouquet (aka walk the dog and visit our garden) and then make tea after said walk.                
And of course, cuddle and kiss the dog before resuming sewing because she was feeling neglected.                              
And back to the wall quilt.                        


And all that's left is to hand stitch the binding as well as sew a hanger on the back. And then cut out backs for that striped pillow. But that's tonight. This morning after my 7 mile loop, I'm headed to campus with my sewing machine to continue quilting the mermaid. blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment