Thursday, July 29, 2021

Cook: Surf and Turf

The disappointment on my dinner cruise along the Na’Pali coast was the filet mignon and broiled shrimp served. My jaw dropped when I heard a server tell the cook that a client said it was the best meal he had ever eaten on the island. No way. Tourist food is the mediocre. And they served a typically premixed sweeter Mai Tai than my lower calorie version of passion fruit juice and sparkling coconut pineapple water with dark rum.        

After my vacation, I planned on grilling proteins and homegrown vegetables for a meal that would be an improvement on that cruise dinner.

And so last night, I charcoal grilled my version of surf and turf: ribeye steak and salmon along with grilled zucchini and yellow squash as well made a tomato salad (vegetables all came from our garden). I wonder if I retired to Hawaii, could I grow a lot of our meals like I do here on the mainland?                    

I was complimented by the hubs on my surf and turf, for I had not overcooked the steak (medium rare), nor the salmon (likewise medium rare). And rather than a bagged salad with cherry tomatoes all shipped from California to Hawaii, my salad were gorgeous heirloom tomatoes (Berkeley Tie Dye, Taxi and Green Zebra) sprinkled with salt and chopped basil and drizzled with organic olive oil and balsamic vinegar.                               
Twas a good day swimming and sunning by the pool followed by a nourishing and delicious dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment