Monday, September 6, 2021

Cook: Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

My earlier attempt at making sausage gravy for biscuits was an utter fail. I used a jar of Heinz sausage gravy and cooked more sausage to go with it over biscuits. Awful because it came from a jar and I tried to amp up flavor with sage. This time I started from scratch.      

I browned breakfast sausage and then had a mise en place: a couple tablespoons of flour, Old Bay seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and milk.                

I watched a Food Network video, and Ree Drummond added the flour to the sausage after it browned and let it soak into the meat. I might have used too much flour because my gravy formed right away and got too thick. I didn’t want to add more milk as a liquid or it would be too rich. Instead I used water to thin, and that worked! Then I tasted. Oh man was it tasty, and I almost forgot to get the biscuits into oven to mop up that deliciousness.                               
And so I kept stirring and adding more water as it got too thick again and then the seasoning and spices as I kept tasting.                                          

Oh my was it yummy, and finally my biscuits were golden brown.                 
And I just wanted to keep spooning gravy into my mouth.                                
Hence my breakfast was gravy and biscuit. And I’ve three more of these breakfasts to go with my morning coffee this week:)

No comments:

Post a Comment