Wednesday, March 9, 2022

cook: gratin of eggs and vegetable scraps

While looking for the video of Jacques Pepin cooking a gratin of hard boiled eggs and vegetable scraps, I found his recipe for the French lunch staple of Gratin of Eggs Loute. The classic dish calls for anchovies and vermouth in his bechamel. Wish I had known to use those two ingredients before cooking my version with scraps from my cheese and vegetable drawers.          

I had stopped at the grocery store to buy French bread, a few mushrooms and a bottle of Chardonnay for last night’s dinner of Brie on toast with sun dried tomatoes and soppressatta, capicola, and prosciutto—a deconstructed grilled cured meat and cheese sandwich before cobbling the gratin for the next night's dinner.           
I indulged and sipped wine, which in retrospect I wish I had poured a little into the béchamel sauce. No matter. I sliced mushrooms, grated Gruyère, minced garlic, julienned and chopped ham.
I then sautéed the mushrooms and garlic in a pat of butter. When the mushrooms were softened, I thought, oh heck, I’ll throw the greens in the cast iron too to wilt and absorb some the juices of the mushrooms. Again I wish I had thought to pour a bit of wine and maybe some thyme into the hot pan.              
  
Oh well. I layered the mushroom and power greens in a gratin dish and then added a layer of chopped ham.
 
Next I sliced a hard boiled egg--another scrap in my fridge--and layered it over the vegetables and meat.
Next I cooked in the same pan the béchamel. I used to be so intimidated by this French mother sauce, but the French concept of having all your ingredients measured, cut, peeled, sliced, grated, etc. before you start cooking has made me so much more confident as a home cook. To make the béchamel, melt the butter in the cast iron and whisk in the same amount of flour--in this case, a tablespoon of each.
 
Once the rawness is cooked out of this roux, add milk and heat until thickened to your liking. Oh and I always add a sprinkle of grated nutmeg to enhance the nuttiness of the Swiss cheese. I poured the béchamel over the layers of ingredients in the gratin dish. I suppose I should have alternated the dry ingredients with the sauce, but again, no matter.
  
Lastly, the grated Gruyère atop. Cheese Gratin of eggs and victuals done and covered with cling film to chill in the fridge before popping into a 400 degree oven on another night.                  

And then it was time to make my other casual dinner. I sliced a mini baguette on the diagonal and slathered each slice with a small slab of Brie. I then spooned what was left in a jar of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil on each slice of bread and cheese.
This snack idea came from my friend, Alfred, who became a chef for the California Maritime Academy and Hornblower dinner cruises.
That was dinner last night, and tonight we continue to not overbuy and waste food and eat leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment