Tuesday, August 30, 2022

clay: glazing

A dude t-boned my car, and it's now in the body shop. I'm driving a 2021 Mazda Miata, and I've never driven such a sporty car. I requested just the cheapest vehicle that's fuel-efficient to get me from point A to point B, but there were only SUVs and mini-vans in the lot to which I said ugh and despaired to the rental agent over my maneuvering a large vehicle. Fine, I said, I'll take the Dodge Caravan, but then as we approached the office door, which was blocked by this dark gray, two-passenger roadster, he said, want the Miata instead? Hell yeah. The engine is so loud, but it's been fun zipping in and out of lanes to pass slower cars. I realized though this afternoon that I can't fit my ceramics tools and planks of clay slabs in the rental car. I took a picture of the license plate in order to call my gym and tell them not to tow or ticket this rental, but I wasn't feeling all that great even though my Covid test was negative. I was exposed at school and have to test again tomorrow, and so decided this afternoon to do Clay Club for 1 instead of swim or spin.

 
Plus I had this stack of plates I wanted to glaze.
I put white underglaze into my maker's mark and waxed the bottoms, which made for less glaze to clean off after pouring glaze into the plates.
 
5 Speckle Buff dinner plates, 1 Obsidian salad plate,
1 Speckle Buff planter, 2 Speckle Buff cocktail cups, and 1 Frost Porcelain dinner plate (glazed with Fire Opal to join the Opal and Oxblood glazed porcelain plates) add up to a day of glazing 10 pots.
Today's glazing has to be enough to fill a kiln.
I'll be happy if at least my butter dish, Cecilia's niece's planter, and my plates successfully fire. Pray to the kiln gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment