Saturday, June 3, 2023

cook: sheet pan supper

I had to go to the Philippine embassy in San Francisco today. I loved the light sconces next to the elevators in the lobby, which I mentioned to the doorman.            

He asked, have you seen the chandelier?
Oh my magnificence! I love its warmth and simplicity. However, the rest of the floors of the consulate appeared rather outdated and dreary. I wish I could go in and update the furniture and find more contemporary Filipino art or at least paint the walls. And now I'm getting ideas on making my ceramic lamp an autobiographical one and wanting to find a capiz lampshade for it. 

Last night with no more leftovers in the fridge, I decided to finally cook. Only I hadn't the energy to prepare South Asian pots of palak paneer and curry chicken as I'd planned. Plus I had a bundle of asparagus and a bag of Yukon gold potatoes on hand. Sheet pan dinner to the rescue!                       
In a mixing bowl, I combined crushed garlic, sliced leeks (because Patrick just harvested them), olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and hot smoked paprika and then tossed the cut-up potatoes and chicken in the marinade, dividing and putting both ingredients side by side on a large sheet pan.
About 40 minutes before serving, Patrick preheated the oven to 425 degrees. I then put the sheet pan in the hot oven for 15 minutes. I then removed the sheet pan from the oven and put the asparagus on top of the chicken and back into the hot oven for 10 minutes.
And done!
In retrospect, we would've liked the potatoes to be crispier though the chicken and the asparagus were perfect. Next time, I'll put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl to coat in the marinade and then put the potatoes in the oven first to cook for 15 minutes, and then push the potatoes aside and put the chicken and leeks on the pan for another 6 to 8 minutes and then the asparagus for the last 10 minutes to ensure crispy potatoes, chicken that's safely roasted and not under or overcooked, and asparagus that is tender and still bright green. Still as few dishes to wash, but dinner cooked in stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment