Wednesday, May 31, 2023

cook: seafood burrito

In my youth when I lived in Vallejo, I used to love visiting Berkeley. Telegraph Avenue was my destination. Record/window shopping at Rasputin Records, used clothing at Aardvark's, $1 slices at Blondie's Pizza, Yogurt Park, Moe's Books--I loved, loved, loved the consumerist adventure as much as my Doc Marten boots. And when I could afford more, I ate Indian, Ethiopian, Thai cuisines on University and Shattuck Avenues. One of my favorite eateries was ¡Ay, Caramba! for the squid burritos. Yah as I was telling a friend, it sounds weird, but trust me it was one of the most delicious burritos. Unfortunately, all I remember of the burrito were the calamari and the black beans and maybe a pico de gallo? I don't think there was rice in the burrito, but a cilantro lime rice would probably be tasty. But there must've been more to the burrito, and so I scoured the internet for a calamari burrito and happened upon this recipe--which didn't include rice but did have black beans. Red bell pepper, jalapeƱo, pineapple, scallions, cilantro, garlic, and lemon juice to which I also added red onion and lime juice. I only had squid tentacles in my freezer, and it seemed to not be enough protein. So I added tiny bay shrimp.           

 
Black beans are so easy because you don't even have to soak them and can just boil and then simmer them for 90 minutes. This is a burrito that can be room temperature, but I made the wrap while the beans and seafood were still warm. Also I drained a lot of liquid from all the protein and vegetables.
Patrick was dubious about seafood burritos. When a burrito or taco doesn't have cheese or sour cream, he doubts it will be delicious. I also wondered if he would find fault with pineapple being in his burrito.
He liked it! He said he was pleasantly surprised that it was tasty. What I love about this change up to my Mexican rotation is how fresh and healthy the burrito is. I suppose next time I could add some chopped lettuce and pico de gallo to make it even more vegetal.

No comments:

Post a Comment