Monday, May 29, 2023

compose + cook: final 2D painting done for no credit + menu rotation OR let summer begin

I am officially on summer break, which I considered on when I finished my final main assignment for my 2-dimensional art class. Here's the irony though. I didn't pay attention to the deadline which was on a midnight on Friday instead of Sunday and I was therefore unable to submit. Instead of finishing my painting, I was pondering whether I should even take Drawing I and Modern Art this summer at the community college.        

For now, I'm still enrolled in the two summer art classes, and this last painting will go into my portfolio even if it doesn't count for credit or get graded. I did email it to the instructor and asked for feedback. And then I went on a spending spree.
 
Besides the $300 I'm spending for summer sandals, I also just bit the bullet on a $450 portable pizza oven. But hey I'm gonna justify the thousand bucks I'm going to spend so far this summer (still have to give over my credit card for my expensive Vitamin C serum and sun block from Obagi and a new hoodie from my favorite clothing company in Brooklyn, NY) as savings for NOT traveling anywhere this summer. On that note, I ought to buy myself membership again to the SFMoMA.

And I kinda sorta returned to the kitchen. Thursday Taco night was made with leftover steak. I clipped a salad dressing recipe as that's what I plan to consume the most this summer.
 
On a run to Costco and the Japanese grocery, I later made a lunch of California rolls, fried smelt, wasabi tuna, and sake for sipping.

And I finally unboxed some UFOs from my quilt boxes. I started stitching a backing for a modern crosses baby quilt top I finished last year and glimpsed the Liberty of London throw I had begun big stitch quilting. Maybe I don't have time for art coursework at Skyline if I'm to finish these sewing projects.


I also have to remember that I have a pottery wheel in my atrium. Maybe I only take Modern Art this summer and do drawing in the fall. Or vice versa. I'd like to park a sewing machine at school and spend my mornings quilting and hand building more plates and then spend the days in between learning to throw a bowl. I feel so indecisive. I don't want to discard sewing as a hobby. But it is such a slow hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment