Wednesday, May 17, 2023

clay+cook+compose: scoops, sustenance, scale shifter

Not much clay activity these past couple weeks, what with wrapping up a school year at work and manning a table at a Mother's Day popup sale at the community studio. I worked on my homage to Wayne Thiebaud, using his 2D image below as reference.

Plus I've been feeling lightheaded or dizzy and constant nausea. Could be allergies. Could be stress. Could be old age. And so I've been trying to self-care and not worry about my health. I called in sick one day and just read and rested. I went to the library and found ceramics inspo in a book about the art of simple living. I love the outlines of the pots below. And now I want to make sets of coffee mugs, tea mugs, and cocktail cups as well as the pouring pitchers AND the simple plaques below.              

And the house on the wall sculpture. I don't get it, but I like it. A lot. There's just something so very cool about simple white porcelain. 
 
I've a bag of porcelain I bought on sale at Clay People, and so these clean white pieces will be the pots I'll make at the high school studio.

I saw this speckled buff pottery below, and it's another surface technique I'd like to attempt without the gold leaf. I was looking for inspo at West Elm and noticed that the pots I copied were glazed on the interior and just the upper rim on the outside. Oh! Cylinder vases on which I can do the same.
 
I was also tempted to replace one of my living room laps with the one below. It's another clean look I like. And then I remembered I was supposed to make one this summer.
My scoops are fired. 
I like 'em.

I haven't wanted to waste food. I cooked hummus for a vegan potluck, but I was so nauseous. I suspect dehydration may be the cause. I enjoyed a simple snack of raw vegetables and my chickpea dip. Really delicious even though my appetite wasn't as robust. And a bowl of noodles with green vegetables and lots of chili crunch has been my usual dinner this week although I cooked a eggplant parmesan, spaghetti and meatballs, and green chicken enchiladas for the hubs.

 
And instead of drinking wine tonight, I ate ice cream.
I've now more ice cream for me than Patrick's pints of Haagen Daaz's coffee chip.

Finally I arrived at a concept for my final 2-dimensional assignment.
I wish I could keep it just black and white and red. I will become disenchanted with it when I have to paint more gouache
 

No comments:

Post a Comment