Friday, August 11, 2023

cook: how to cheat making bolognese sauce

I was uninspired about what to do with hamburger patties, which we needed a break from in the dinner rotation. I decided to cook the ground beef into something else. I remembered serving favorite neighbors a homemade Bolognese sauce over handmade ravioli from our favorite ravioli house. However, Marcella Hazan’s Bolognese is a 4 to 5 hour process, and I only had 2 hours to get dinner on the table. I decided to use up leftover jars of marinara sauce and heirloom tomatoes I had whirred in the Vitamix instead of slowly simmering crushed tomatoes. I chopped red onion and celery and grated a carrot which I sautéed in butter and olive oil and then added the ground beef to lose all its pink.

 
I then added a small pour of whole milk and sprinkles of nutmeg, and you're supposed to then simmer until all the liquid is driven off. That wasn't gonna work in my time frame, and so the milk furiously boiled off.
 
After the meat and vegetables were almost dry, I then added a glass of Chardonnay...
...and furiously boiled again and then added the tomatoes and marinara sauces and vigorously boiled again, and voila! Bolognese sauce in 2 hours.
I served the Bolognese atop pappardelle pasta. And here's my lunch of leftover Bolognese atop pappardelle (which I had been too famished to photograph after the previous night's dinner).                       
I realized later that the missing ingredient in this Bolognese was pancetta, but I've leftover bacon which I just might add to the Bolognese that's left.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment