Monday, November 27, 2023

cook: roast pork

For Friendsgiving, I told Helen that if she bought the pork shoulder, then I would roast it. And oh man, I struggled to score that pork rind (I finally resorted to my serrated bread knife) before oiling and salting the pork roast all over and then searing it for 50 minutes in a 500 degree oven and then lowering the temperature to 325 degrees and letting the pig roast for 2 and a half hours. However, it crisped beautifully.
The Sunday before the work week, I denuded a turkey carcass and the pork bone of all the meat and boiled for a few hours.
 
I now have bone broths for boiling beans.
With the turkey broth, I know I want to cook a cottage pie with leftover mashed potatoes and turkey and add mire poix and a flour and butter roux to make a gravy. I've white onion and lime too for garnishing after simmering our Gordo beans. But that pork broth is calling for a pozole. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment