Thursday, April 11, 2024

clay: kurinuki box

I've still yet to post about my third and last day in Washington, D.C. and unload my photo dump, but in the meantime, I'm back at work and in the studios. I wasn’t going to try to view the solar eclipse this week, but couldn’t help going when I saw science teachers and their students outside on a brilliantly sunny day. And I’m glad I did because it was pretty cool. I wore the glasses for viewing the eclipse given to me by the science department chair and took a pic of the eclipse with them on. And then I took a pic with my camera lens directly on the lens of the viewing glasses.           
 
And the photo is not exactly as I viewed them directly with just the glasses, but still you get the idea. And then it was back to my desk with my computer monitor on the NASA view of the solar eclipse.
I do think I try to draw upon nature when I'm making. But my hand is poor at realistically rendering nature like these beautiful soft orange and peach tulips, which is why I guess I like abstraction because I can't.
I was telling Zan why I like kurinuki so much. The technique of subtraction (which is a major element of abstraction)is so very Japanese, of trying to capture the beauty and imperfection of nature. And so I’ve been making not only kurinuki cups, but also vases. And the droop of those tulips inspired me to turn a cup into a tall vase, which I didn’t photograph and need to find in all the bisque that came out of the kiln yesterday. Yesterday I spent the majority of the afternoon carving this box, of which I photographed all four sides. It's in the photos, where I notice that my lid is not completely fitting into the base and so not looking like a solid piece of rock. But that's okay. I'm still learning this technique.
  
I took one final photo of the lid. And I'll likely look at the greenware today and continue to mess with it.
I think the glaze will make up for the clumsiness of my skill at carving. And I'm already thinking that I'll adhere my favorite rutile on this pot for a cone 10 firing.

No comments:

Post a Comment