Tuesday, April 2, 2024

cook: swiss chard and an asian american breakfast

I've been roasting all the broccoli and cauliflower, but mainly sautéing the Savoy cabbage and Swiss chard Patrick has been harvesting in March and April. Per my usual technique, I chop the tough fibrous stems and thrill at their rub color. While the stems were softening in olive oil, I chopped the mountain of leaves.

     

And then I just kept adding the leaves until they wilted down to make room for more leafy greens...

 

...until finally two big bags of Swiss chard fit into my 10" cast iron.

  

I was on a mission before I left for my spring break trip to clean out the fridge of ingredients that I knew Patrick would not eat. I fried Spam and leftover rice from Chinese takeout earlier in the week in sesame oil, which I mixed in with chopped kimchi, gochuchang, soy sauce, snow peas and petite green peas...

 

 ...my breakfast fried rice wasn't vegetal enough, so I chopped a tomato and a couple of scallions.

Lastly, I fried two cloud eggs, and it was too much for one person for one meal, but kept me fed for both breakfast and lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment