Monday, September 9, 2024

clay: air plant planters

When I go into a ceramic studio with a plan, albeit one that’s in my head rather than already sketched out in my clay journal, I get shit done like these windowsill and wall pocket air plant pots.

I glazed the little pots in Majolica and Floating Blue, or maybe it was Ghost Blue? However, I did remember to record what glazes I adhered to the two bigger pots.                                    
And this weekend, the kiln gods delivered. I love the splotches of turquoise on the toffee brown.                          
And there is no hint of pink at all on this wall pot, which instead makes the Celadon glaze a more splotchy creamy turquoise.
Someone in the studio made a candelabra like the one below.
I'd like to make it too, but want to glaze it in any of the number of combinations of the test tiles in the studio or in Ghost Blue or Floating Blue on a porcelain clay--a bag of which I have at the parks and rec studio. I think I can finally use all the bags of clay I have from the high school studio, but work on the pots at Clay Life and then fire the greenware at both school and the parks and rec. I'll make a damp box some time this fall in which to contain sgraffito pots. And oh! I've been learning to throw bowls for the past two Sunday nights, and last night I got to trim the 6 bowls. Super fun! I was mesmerized by the spinning wheel and the subtractions of clay ribbons flying off underneath the loop tool. I now can make coordinating bowls for my coupe plates after I throw a 100 bowls or so--luckily I'll have bowls to give to the Empty Bowls event this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment