Tuesday, September 3, 2024

cook: labor day summer supper

I can't trust a lot of directions on recipes for a slow roasted salmon. Most call for a 250 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Too hot and too long in my opinion for the oven I have.

The supermarket not only had salmon on sale for the Labor Day holiday, but also fresh corn. And so I bought two ears and decided how I was going to cook them while admiring a pink dahlia that Patrick stuck into a vase of basil.
 
I slathered the ears with butter and sprinkled salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and hot smoked paprika--my go-to for flavoring vegetables.
Of course, there was zucchini from the harvest, and so I sliced it into planks and seasoned it the same. The fish was already 20 minutes into roasting, and so I put the corn in the oven with it.
After 50 minutes, the fish looked more than done, and there was not enough browning to my liking of my vegetables--back into the oven they went.
  
While the fish was resting, I made a lemon sauce. I drizzled the salmon with a sauce of lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, chives and salt.
The vegetables finally looked done.
And to make our last supper of the summer complete, I sliced a Chianti tomato and sprinkled with salt and chopped basil.
My favorite summer meal.
Hurrah to summer. But the next time, I slow cook salmon, I'm going to set the oven to 225 degrees and maybe just roast for 40 minutes because I usually sear salmon skin side for 7 minutes to crisp and then 3 minutes on the other side to finish to keep the fish supple and moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment