Wednesday, September 18, 2024

cook: chicken al pastor & chicken karaage

I instructed my husband to buy chicken at Costco, and instead of the chicken thighs I was expecting, he brought home chicken breasts. Sigh. I always end up cooking breasts too long and too hot, so that they end up dry. But at least I made my loaded (onions, garlic, jalapeno, tomato, oregano, cilantro)frijoles de la olla to counteract dry, boring chicken. I remember adding those same alliums and herbs and a little cumin and chipotle chilies in adobo sauce as well as orange and lemon and lime juices to the marinating chicken.

 
I also tried to make Mexican rice with leftover rice. No bueno to my palate on this meal, and the only component I enjoyed were the beans.
 
After my underwhelming Mexican dinner, we managed to finish the chicken in burritos. I surveyed next what I wanted to cook to redeem myself of such a lackluster meal. I guess my cooking during a busy workweek has become a lot more streamlined like my skin care: just soap and sunscreen along with my other grocery items. Patrick did remind me that I have 5 kabocha squash that he harvested.
 
I also baked a failed dessert from another online recipe: peach (extra) crisp. I coated the peaches in sugar and let them soak and toasted the oats and brown sugar and corn starch with ground cinnamon and grated ginger.
 
I liked eating the peaches, but not the dry, almost sawdust-like crumb topping. Sigh. At least my lunches have been nutritious and tasty. I've been packing my rogue Niçoise salad. Instead of the authentic salted tomatoes and anchovies and olive oil, I bring a tomato, basil, salt, Kalamata olives, a hard boiled egg, tuna salad, and boiled green beans. Optimally nutritious. I've red potatoes that Patrick recently harvested too, and I should boil them and make an aioli to dip them in for my no lettuce salad.
Once again I brought out chicken breasts from the freezer to thaw, but this time, I'm gonna cook it Japanese style. I've a recipe for the chicken breast. I've a recipe for the tempura-battered vegetables, which will be kabocha, sweet potato, and zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment