Friday, December 8, 2017

Crib Quilts for Christmas

Below is the quilt top for my husband's niece's 2-year-old son, Grayson, in a blue and gray, of course, color way.


I've had this Funky Monkey fabric for years.  I love sock monkeys but never had the inclination to use this juvenile fabric.  The recent birth of my husband's niece's baby, Alexander, is the impetus for finally using this fabric which will be the back of a modern baby quilt.

Even though I'm not the most careful or skilled piecer, I felt a need to try improvisational quilting or of having a little bit of randomness in my quilt blocks.  I kept itching to use my ruler while making the blocks below; however, I did use the grid lines on my mat as a guide for freehand rotary cutting the strips for the funky monkey, a.k.a this monkey bars quilt.

I was definitely out of my comfort zone in making these wonky striped blocks.

I'll be horizontally sashing in between these 60.5" wide strips and am wondering if I can effect a more modern look by not sashing the perimeter of the quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment