Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Grilling

I am not especially fond of green bell peppers, but if they're any other color like red, yellow, or orange, sign me up.  And while they're delicious raw, they're even tastier when they've been roasted or grilled.  I had bought a dollar bag at my favorite produce store and decided to grill hamburgers last night just so I could also grill my peppers.
I usually grill hamburgers on a charcoal grill, but I had bought Wagyu ground beef at Costco, excited to try it.  However, when I grilled my Wagyu beef burgers, they tasted too much like raw charcoal and had also shrunk down half in size.  It's predominantly fat, and the grease dripped onto the hot coals, flaring and charring the meat. And so for this last package of Wagyu ground beef, I decided to cook it on top of aluminum foil (a cast iron grill pan would have taken too long to heat).
Wow was I right about the meat grease.  It spilled out of the foil and dripped into the coals and really blackened my peppers.
I think the peppers are beautiful, but I hope they don't also have a raw charcoal taste.  I rinsed and peeled them under running cold water before refrigerating them.  My hamburgers didn't have those beautiful grill marks, but I was hopeful that they would taste less like lighter fluid.
I had made a Napa coleslaw that had been chilling in the fridge, and set out my burger-making bar.  Success.  The hamburgers were tasty and still medium raw and that takes care of the Wagyu beef which I won't be purchasing again.  However, I'm running dangerously low on mayonnaise.  First world household problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment