Monday, March 9, 2020

Quilting: Campfire or a modern log cabin

I've become a grandaunt to a newborn named Isla Rae, and her mother expresses a preference for pale pink and rose pink in a baby quilt.  I had pulled Kona cotton bolts of melon and baby pink, as well pink fabrics from other lines.  And then I remembered a kit I bought from Craftsy comprised of Boundless solid fabrics with a similar color palette but punched up with yellow and purple brown.  My ceramic studio is on hiatus for the next two Saturdays, and so I spent that first Saturday shopping for silkscreen medium and brown clay.  And then came home and pulled the fabrics out.  I'd been reading the instructions and felt ready to cut the strips.  On Sunday, I finally started stitching.  I said I would stop after stitching the melon strips, but aaargh I discovered a mistake and ripped out the seam of the fig stripe on the right of this block and then trimmed down the melon strip on top to align with the other horizontal strips and the vertical and horizontal porcelain strips on the right side.
I'm trying to take my time on this quilt, so I don't have to fix any more time-consuming mistakes like my Sunday evening to produce what you see below.  And I had time enough this morning to pin a fig strip to the bottom to stitch on to this medallion tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment