Wednesday, April 27, 2022

clay: designing a miniature ceramic water wall fountain

I woke up in the wee hour unable to sleep and watched YouTube videos of a pottery teacher making a tabletop fountain. And now I want to make one. However, I'm in love with minimalist forms and want something more of a water wall in a rectangular trough that is more Zen rather than ornately decorated and consisting of spouts in stacking bowls (though I may do that too). I was drawn to this image of a water curtain in my initial search for ideas. 

To miniaturize this, I suppose I would construct a 3-sided square hollow tube with holes  atop in which to snake a tube attached to a pump for water to come out of the holes and rain down into a trough full of pebbles. But I wonder if its trickling noise would be annoying. 

I had seen a ceramic fountain at the Palo Alto Clay and Glass Festival with a corrugated surface similar to the columns below in which the water reflected beautifully in the sunlight. 
I imagine I would make a trough and fill it with pebbles and the fountain pump for each column would be at the base and be hidden behind the column.


This black louver fountain is likewise cool.
I suppose I would make a square trough at the bottom to contain pebbles to hide the fountain pump. Then I would build a skinny rectangular cube in which to run the two tubes on opposite ends to pour water into a shallow trough at the top where water overflows down and across the wall. Would I need to angle one edge of that trough in order for the water to cascade over the ridged surface? I definitely would put that ridged texture in the middle of the hollow cube in which I think glaze would pool beautifully during the firing. And maybe I don't need the pebbles if the pump is behind the cube wall.

Or maybe since stairwells are another thing I want to build in clay, I make a fountain based on these slabs.
A stairstep fountain would easily hide a fountain pump, so maybe a pyramid fountain with ridges on its planes.
I'll start simple. Trough first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment