Sunday, April 24, 2022

cook: saturday salmon supper

I stepped out into the garden before ceramics open studio and looked at my succulents. Oh yeah, I need to replace those ugly plastic pots.                
Once at the clay studio I found three shallow round pots into which to put more succulent shoots. Hey I could open a pop-up plant shop called roots + shoots! But until then I made three higher walled pots, at least 4” high in which to transplant those bigger plants. And then it was time to cook supper. When I was in Palm Springs, I had grilled my own favorite meal of salmon steaming and simmering in a compound butter—both the filets of fish and the butter I bought at the grocery outlet. Oh my gosh, my impromptu salmon dinner was so delish. And so that Saturday morning, I combined grated garlic, chopped shallot, onion powder, chopped thyme, basil, dill, chives, Meyer lemon zest and juice to make a compound butter (I'll have to tell Patrick to use the herbed butter on steak too). When I came home, I set up supper.                  
The frozen corn and broccoli also had come from the Grocery Outlet. I dressed the broccoli florets and stalks with olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt and ditto with the frozen corn except butter instead of olive oil and generous sprinklings of black pepper too. For the salmon, I salted both sides and laid it skin side down on oiled aluminum foil with more basil leaves. And then that beautiful compound butter on top of the filets.                           
And oh my! I roasted the fish in the oven (400 degrees for both the broccoli and the salmon) for 15 (salmon) to 20 minutes (broccoli).                             
The corn I microwaved for 4 minutes though I should have put it in the oven too.                                
Patrick baked chocolate chip cookies, and I ate 3! I hardly ever eat that many sweets, but the Maldon salt makes the chocolate so scrumptious.

No comments:

Post a Comment