Sunday, May 8, 2022

cook: đồ chua + thit heo quay as made by a non-vietnamese

I tasted the daikon and carrot pickle Friday morning. The đồ chua tasted like it could use another day to sit in the pickle juice of sugar and vinegar and maybe a bit more salt. I also over salted the thit heo quay or pork belly a bit too much, but Cecilia's Vietnamese lemongrass grilled pork and my roasted pork belly or thit heo nuong xa plus pork pate and the raw vegetables balanced it out into a delicious three little pigs bánh mì.  

I’ll know next time to just rub lime and just a little bit of salt over the skin side of the pork belly. And just a dry rub for the meaty side. And so I demonstrated my construction to Cecilia when she brought over her homemade baguettes. Split the bread in half, but not all the way through to better contain the sandwich. A bead or two of  Kewpie mayonnaise on the upper half of the baguette and a thin layer of pate on the lower half. Then the lemongrass pork and a few dots of hoisin, then the pork belly and a few dots of sriracha, then cilantro, then the pickled daikon and carrot, then the cucumber.


Together we made three platters of sandwiches to feed ten guests. We’re Filipino, and so we always cook too much. But the guests seemed to enjoy eating them, and I had one leftover sandwich to eat over the weekend for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment