Monday, October 10, 2022

clay & bake: plate production & cake

This week I put 6 greenware, either Obsidian or Hawaiian Red plates into the kiln at the high school, and I’ll have 2 greenware speckled buff plates for the kiln at the community studio. I think I’ll know what clay body I used once I see their bisque against the bisque Hawaiian Red spoons I made.   
I also loaded the teens' pumpkins into the kiln.
I rather love this mug.
Last Sunday I baked a Meyer Lemon Blueberry Loaf and then glazed it with lemon glaze poured from this pitcher that Patsy made. What clay body? What firing? What glaze? I asked.
She fired it at the Berkeley studio, so it's likely a Cone 10. Pete's Red with a Shino White. And my Meyer Lemon Blueberry Loaf was a hit with my librarian colleagues at a work meeting Monday I coordinated and facilitated.
Really this loaf is a cake in an oblong shape. Whew what a heavy workweek. A week prior of writing reflections for two evaluations at my two different schools and then planning and then leading professional development for 6 librarians on a Monday where I also facilitated ice breaker activities and yoga stretches made me kinda tired this weekend. Yesterday I only managed to make 1 plate at the community studio but worked my fingers out on 2 espresso mugs. But I managed to bake a banana nut chocolate chip loaf. I had gourmet chocolate chips at the ready.    
First I poured batter halfway into the loaf pan and then scattered chocolate chips and poked those chips into the dough.
And then poured the rest of the batter into the loaf pan and scattered more chocolate chips. Baked in a 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.
I left the "bread" to cool in the pan. Why is banana bread called bread when really it's a cake that's a quick bread leavened with chemicals like baking powder and baking soda rather than biologically with yeast? However, I suppose less sugar and fat and more density from the bananas and chocolate would make it a quick bread or a muffin. I had to corral this girl before eating my birthday breakfast from Cecilia who made homemade tocino and cooked it with garlic fried rice and two runny eggs. It was my breakfast AND my lunch because it was so much food.
Too tired to have even taken a picture of the finished chocolate drizzle on the banana nut chocolate chip loaf, which I brought to a breakfast with the ladies. On Sunday, Cecilia was running her Café Olivia where she makes coffee drinks for each of 6 neighbors. I had two brioche buns left in my pantry and all the ingredients to make a bodega sandwich: smoked ham, cheddar cheese, and a fried, runny egg. I had to wash my smallest cast iron pan in between mine and Cecilia's sandwiches. I need to use a lot of oil in order to fry the egg on a cast iron versus a nonstick. I'm sure fry cooks must have to do the same when making a bodega on the flat top. 
However, I did think the sandwich was delicious. I buttered the bread before toasting in the cast iron, set the buns aside and topped the bread halves with the slice of cheddar and the two slices of ham which I browned in the cast iron. And then I fried the egg, removed it from the pan and placed atop the ham. Washed the pan and toasted the constructed sandwich on the clean cast iron.
I have to say, I love the bodega sandwich and want to figure out how to cook it more efficiently. And the bolilo rolls at the supermarket when they're fresh baked are the perfect bread for the next time I make this sandwich. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment