Friday, October 21, 2022

cook: egg sandwiches for breakfast and dinner

I’ve COVID, and had relied on neighbors to get us milk and wine this week. I've enough groceries to get by until a negative test when I can return to the supermarket. And I also had one Thistle vegan dinner of jollof rice with sweet potato and pinto beans and an aioli sauce. OMG delish. And then my olfactory nerves went dead.
 
I so wanted to enjoy my ham, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. I made my egg over easy soft. Should have gone for medium because yolk ran all over my t-shirt, the kitchen counter and my cutting board.
  
And I so wanted to enjoy it, but I could really only taste ham. For a late lunch, early dinner, I made egg salad. I followed a Food and Wine recipe for Japanese 7-Eleven Egg Salad Sandwich. I cooked the eggs exactly 10 minutes on a medium high heat and then submerged them in ice water, peeled and then sliced them with handy dandy egg slicer I got from one of Patrick's clients who just moved into memory care. I loved the vintagey item even if it didn't slice all the way through.
 
I used a fork to mash the hard boiled eggs even more finely before adding the Kewpie mayonnaise and the heavy whipping cream as well as salt, pepper and sugar.
 
I combined it all, and it was too salty. Yikes. And it needed that allium bite I love. And so I chopped a scallion and chives very finely and mixed it in.
So much tastier. And I probably should have cooked one more egg, so it wasn't so gloppy.
But again delish. I sliced off the crusts of buttermilk bread and generously buttered the bread.

 
This was the school lunch the cafeteria ladies had promised and which I couldn't partake because of freakin' COVID. I had planned to share with Nicole along with a bag of potato chips.
But I feel like I've got the recipe down. A bit less mayo and yeah omit one of the egg whites.

No comments:

Post a Comment