Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Quilting Work in Progress: Stashbusters ROYGBIV Sampler I, The Yellow Row.

I had posted earlier the aqua row from this sampler quilt, but it's incomplete because I've since then decided each row needs at least 7 blocks instead of 6.  Today I finished the yellow row.  Yellow needs to be used sparingly.  I learned from a workshop with Bill Kerr that yellow is very dominant, and so I tried to reduce its impact by surrounding it with more subdued hues like mustards and olives.  Needless to say, I did not use the highlighter yellow (the Pantone color of 2016) in these blocks if I could help it.
Balkan Puzzle Block.  I fussy cut the center block from Amy Butler fabric that I've had since taking up sewing during graduate school a few years ago. I love her fabric, but the patterns are so large scale that they lend themselves more to wide strip quilts.
Flying Geese Block.  Amy Butler fabric.
 Another Flying Geese Block.  I've more of these triangles which will probably end up as blocks on the backing fabric.
Sawtooth Star Block.  Amy Butler fabric.
 Twin Sisters Block.  I've this Amy Butler fabric in a pillow I made at least six years ago.
 King's Crown Block.  However, I used two colors instead of three.
Dutchman's Puzzle Block.  I love this block, which started for me as a 4" Flying Geese Block and then figuring out how to assemble the rest of the pieces into an 8" block.

No comments:

Post a Comment