Friday, July 21, 2017

Quilting Work in Progress: Stashbusters ROYGBIV Sampler I, The Red Row

The red row was a challenge because I've a lot of pink and purple fabric, so I had to consciously steer away from any blue tinges in this row and reserve it for the next row.  It's difficult after sewing so many rows to say which is my favorite colors because I'm discovering that a lot of colors are my favorite.  I think when I get to using up the pinks and purples and oranges in my stash, I will throw in brown to tie all those colors together.  I heard a quilt instructor shudder at the thought of mixing pink with purple, but I rather love pastels when it's mixed in with some mud or chocolate brown.  Sounds like it might be hideous, but it really works.  Bill Kerr's Modern Quilt Studio sells a Desert Island Fat Quarter Bundle that includes the colors: Michael Miller Mud (gray brown), Cotton Couture Teal, Bamboo, Dirt and Silver which work to show off other colors to their best. Really!  Because everybody needs a wallflower to enhance their vivacity.

I love this red splotched pink, but I don't think this fabric lends itself to being cut up and then re-assembled into another geometric shape.  Oh well.  There's no name this block because I merely sewed triangles from cutting Flying Geese blocks to make up a diamond.
 Right and Left Block.
Flying Geese Block. 
Nine-Patch Variation Block. 
Flying Geese Block. 
Again no name for the block for which again I sewed a bunch of Flying Geese triangles to make a diamond. 
Old Windmill Block.

No comments:

Post a Comment