Friday, July 21, 2017

Quilting Work in Progress: Stashbusters ROYGBIV Sampler I, The Aqua Row

When I resolved to not buy fabric and to only "shop" my stash, I started with the aquas and turquoises in the boxes and boxes of fabric in my closet.  I also broke out my Quick and Easy Block Tool and started flipping through it.  I decided to make a flying geese block, and it kind of got out of control because I had all these extra triangles which I then put into other flying geese blocks.  I also decided to "log cabin" these sampler blocks with other aqua fabric.  I also broke down and bought two yards of Kona Natural Cotton because I knew I wanted to sew blocks from the color wheel in this quilt and needed a neutral color in order to cohere all my different colored rows.  I loved, loved, loved this row, and my next sampler will be more monochromatic in these aquas, light blues, light greens, turquoises, and shades of the sea.  I will likely go back to fabric shop too if I don't have enough variation.  We all tend to have many many mediums in our fabric stashes, and lights and darks are necessary in order to create depth.

Flying Geese Block.

Mosaic Block.
Mosaic Block.
 Mosaic Block.
 Flying Geese or Mosaic Block.
Flying Geese or Mosaic Block.
Windmill Block.  I had to mix it up and when I decided to add another 7 blocks to the original plan of 42 blocks total, I turned to my block tool in order to find other 8" blocks.  Oh and ROYGBIV = red orange green blue indigo violet

No comments:

Post a Comment