Sunday, March 25, 2018

Quilting: Frida

Yesterday instead of agitating and marching for gun control in San Francisco, I stayed home all day and did not venture out once...NOT ONCE!  That's how obsessed I was with finishing my wall quilt of Frida Kahlo, which started out as an embroidered panel that I thought I was going to frame and then give to my clay instructor.  But then it took ever so long that I decided, no I love Debbie, but I'm keeping this for myself because it's such a showcase of all the learning that has happened in my quilting and was so proud of that record.  I joined a Fat Eighth Kona Club at Pink Castle Fabrics and so used some of that fabric to log cabin Frida.  I loved pulling embroidery thread and seeing how their colors interacted with the colors of the fabric below.
I even loved the stark contrast of those colored embroidery threads on the white backing.  I so adore the look of the running stitch even though hand quilting takes such A LONG TIME that I even think I'll hand quilt my Funny Valentine quilt on which I spent a Friday evening from 5 to 9 stitching in the ditch (and it's still not done!)....that'll be another blog.
A neighbor visited and interrupted my binding and addition of a hanging sleeve to Frida, which was fine as I kept thinking below MUST.  NOT.  SPILL.  RED.  WINE. while finishing Frida.
I couldn't retire until it was done, and now it is and now I can get back to Mighty Lucky and another Valentine foundation paper pieced quilt as well as a crazy quilt that's still in my head as well as my One Heart One Love wall quilt...sew many quilts, sew little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment