Monday, March 12, 2018

Work in Progress: One Love One Heart Wall Quilt

This quilt started with my love of Robert Indiana's bold, simple and iconic "LOVE" and a discovery and affection for foundation paper piecing hearts (they're perfect for beginners to this quilt skill).  Put two and two together, and you get a theme derived from Bob Marley's "One Love/People Get Ready" of course!  
Since this text is larger than what I usually embroider, I decided to use 6-ply rather than my usual 3-ply of thread.  I don't like that I lose some of the finer and smoother detail of 3-ply, but I'm gonna go with it just like I'm gonna go with the lack of contrast between the hot pink and oranges and red...viewers are just gonna have to get up close to read the text.
 Below I went with my usual 3-ply work, and it seemed to take an ever long time to finish.  However, I do like the contrast of coral and red.
And the project evolved.  I wanted to add more pictorial panels.  Below you see the reverse raw applique block of the world--a new technique for me.  I plan to outline the globe in maroon as well as add text.
 I added another pictorial panel to encompass people as you can see below and traced on a light box more of my favorite lyrics.
I'm not sure if I am going to log cabin these panels in orange and purple or sew sashes between them.  However, I love the look of them so far and am going to re-watch Lori Kennedy's "Creating a Quilting Plan" on how to stitch down applique and embroidery.

No comments:

Post a Comment